Delft, here I come!

Even though I’ve already spent two months here, I still remember my first day as if it was yesterday! Even though the day I had to catch my flight, we had around 40ÂșC in Madrid, I went to the airport wearing long pants and a jacket (unthinkable in Madrid in the summer) because I already knew what I was getting myself into. For my first flight ever to the Netherlands, I chose a Ryanair flight that landed in Eindhoven. Normally to fly to Delft you have two or three options, you can fly to Amsterdam’s Airport, Schiphol which is the biggest airport in the Netherlands and is around 1h away by train, you can fly to Eindhoven, which is 2h and 20min away by train, or if you’re extremely lucky you can fly to Rotterdam’s Airport which is just 20 min away by bus. In my case I chose Eindhoven, because flights on the summer are pretty expensive most of the time and Ryanair is by far the cheapest option if you’re flying from Madrid. So after my 2h flight, there I was, in Eindhoven’s Airport with 3 huge bags and a lot of dreams waiting to become true.

The first thing you have to do when you get to Delft, is make it to the Welcome Desk in the Aula. For me it was quite a challenge, as it took me around 3 hours to get from Eindhoven to Delft, as that day maintenance works were happening on the rails, and I made it to Delft station at 20:00. I knew the Welcome Desk closed at around 21:00 so I practically took the first bus I saw leave the station!

Thankfully I made it on time and got handed the keys to my new house and a bunch of welcoming gifts, including some that really saved my dinner that day. Two coaches in charge of the Introductory Program that was about to happen in the two following weeks, helped me find my house (which was extremely close to the Aula) and helped get my bags upstairs. After one super exhausting days of catching cars, buses, trains and planes I had finally made to my new home. After unpacking my bags and making my bed for the first time (If you rent your house with DUWO, some things will be waiting for you when you arrive, like a bed with sheets, a table, chairs and a couple closets) I realized that my new kitchen was completely empty and even though I had gotten some instant noodles from the people at the Aula I had nothing to cook them with! At this realization, I decided that I was more exhausted than hungry, so I decided to call it a day and go to bed with an empty stomach.

The next day I woke up super early (around 6:00 which I never do) and went right away to the supermarket, but that’s enough of a story for the next post. See you there!!

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply